Jason Donovan tackles fire in his underpants at 4am
Firefighters are always prepared for any eventuality – but the sight of Jason Donovan tackling a fire in his underpants at 4am was definitely a first for one crew in London.
When the Kensington firefighters turned up to the address in Notting Hill, they were amazed to see the former Neighbours star semi-clothed, attempting to put out the flames with a fire extinguisher.
London Fire Brigade put out a statement about the incident, which happened in the early hours of 22 September, on Wednesday, saying the fire took about 20 minutes to bring under control.
Donovan, 51, then shared a photo from the night on social medial, saying: “Thank you to the @LondonFire for getting to the situation so quickly, glad no one was hurt.
“This is a good reason to always wear PJs to bed (in case of emergencies) but much more importantly to have fire extinguishers at hand in the home.”
Kensington watch manager Thomas Wolfe said: “The fire was located in the side passage next to a house and when we arrived a gentleman was tackling the fire using a fire extinguisher. We took over from him and quickly dealt with the blaze.
“It soon transpired that it was Jason Donovan, who noticed the fire from his property over the road. The fire is believed to have been caused by a fault in electrical cabling.”
Mr Wolfe added that the singer and actor “looks good for his age”.
“As one of the firefighters said to the resident: ‘Everyone needs good neighbours’.”
Neighbours fans may well remember Donovan’s previous experience of fire rescues, with his character Scott Robinson having pulled Kylie Minogue’s Charlene Mitchell to safety following an explosion at her caravan.
Donovan starred as Scott in Neighbours from 1986 to 1989, marrying Charlene in one of the biggest soap weddings of all time, which aired in the UK in 1988.
He recently announced his Even More Good Reasons tour for 2020.