Peter Andre denies refusing to touch fans over coronavirus fears
Peter Andre has denied that he refused to touch fans over coronavirus fears at a recent event – insisting he “hugged everyone” he met.
The singer appeared at a Q&A event in Southampton on Saturday, and said he was surprised to learn signs had been posted warning fans not to take selfies or have physical contact with him.
It comes as Boris Johnson warned the coronavirus outbreak is “likely to become more significant” across the UK in the coming days and weeks.
Several celebrities have been sharing advice – and selfies – as the outbreak continues across the world, and artists including Stormzy, BTS and Avril Lavigne have also cancelled gigs in Asia due to the virus.
But Andre, famous for hits including Mysterious Girl and Insania, doesn’t seem to be worrying about it just yet.
Speaking about the event in Southampton, he wrote on Twitter: “Ok this must be a wind up because I hugged Everyone I met.
“People were saying to me that they had been told not to touch me and that there were signs.I thought they were joking. Brilliant.
“I am now officially a diva without being a diva.
“On a serious note though don’t touch me 😂.”
A picture of a sign, apparently posted at Southampton Central Hall at the An Evening With Peter Andre event, was shared on Twitter, reading: “Due to recent cases of the coronavirus please DO NOT have any physical contact with Peter Andre.
“Please DO NOT take any selfies with Peter Andre.
“Apologies for any inconvenience.”
After pictures of the poster circulated on social media, Peter Andre started trending on Twitter in the UK.
Various cultural and sporting events have so far been postponed due to the coronavirus outbreak, including Six Nations rugby matches and the Tokyo marathon.
Stars including Gwyneth Paltrow and Kate Hudson have also shared pictures of themselves wearing masks while travelling.
A spokesman for the Southampton venue did not want to comment on Andre’s post.
Sky News has contacted representatives for Andre for comment.