Placido Domingo quits Met Opera amid harassment claims
Placido Domingo has withdrawn from his performances at New York’s Met opera house amid allegations of sexual harassment from multiple women.
The Metropolitan Opera said the Spanish-born tenor had “agreed to withdraw from all future performances at the Met, effective immediately”.
The opera star has said he will never again perform at the opera house.
In August, an Associated Press investigation revealed claims from numerous women accusing him of sexual harassment.
Domingo has denied the allegations but the Met had been under increasing pressure to cancel his appearances.
The allegations prompted LA Opera, where Domingo serves as a general director, to launch an investigation into his conduct.
The American Guild of Musical Artists, the union that represents operatic, dance and choral artists, also opened its own independent investigation.
On Tuesday, Domingo, who made his debut at the Met Opera in 1968 and performed many title roles, issued a statement saying his Met career was over.
“I made my debut at the Metropolitan Opera at the age of 27 and have sung at this magnificent theatre for 51 consecutive, glorious years,” the tenor said.
“While I strongly dispute recent allegations made about me, and I am concerned about a climate in which people are condemned without due process, upon reflection, I believe that my appearance in this production of Macbeth would distract from the hard work of my colleagues both on stage and behind the scenes.
“As a result, I have asked to withdraw and I thank the leadership of the Met for graciously granting my request,” he said.
He added: “I am happy that, at the age of 78, I was able to sing the wonderful title role in the dress rehearsal of Macbeth, which I consider my last performance on the Met stage.”
The Met said Domingo had “agreed to withdraw from all future performances at the Met, effective immediately”.
On Wednesday, the tenor’s name was missing from the Met webpage for Macbeth.
Outside the opera’s entrance, a poster advertising the production also had Domingo’s name blanked out with the name of his replacement covering it.