Sandhausen host Freiburg at the Hardtwaldstadion on Tuesday (7 February) in the last 16 of the DFB Pokal.
The hosts beat the amateur team Schwarz-Weiss Rehden 4-0 in the first cup appearance, in an extremely dominant game. Sandwausen then beat Karlsruher 8-7 on penalties, drawing 2-2 after extra time. Sandhausen last got this far in the domestic competition in 2016-17 before losing 4-1 to Schalke.
Meanwhile, Freiburg have had mixed results in the Bundesliga since returning to action after the winter break. So far, in the DFB Pokal, they have faced the teams of the 2nd Bundesliga, Kaiserslautern and St. Pauli, winning both games 2-1 in extra time.
The visitors came closest to winning their first cup last season, reaching the final of the tournament, but lost on penalties to RB Leipzig. They will now hope to go one step further this year, but first they have to get past Sandhausen.
Sandhausen vs Freiburg and key numbers
- There have been eight meetings between Sandhausen and Freiburg. The home team won two games, while the visitors won three.
- There have been three draws between these two teams, including their last meeting which ended 1-1.
- The hosts are without a goal in the last four games in different competitions, while the visitors have not managed to keep a single goal in the last ten.
- Only four of Sandhausen’s ten league defeats this season have come at home.
- Four of Freiburg’s five league defeats this season have occurred away from home.
- The hosts conceded 34 league goals this season. Only Regensburg (35) and Magdeburg (37) received more.
Prediction for Sandhausen – Freiburg
Sandhausen have lost three of their last four competitive games and won just two of their last seven. They are winless in their last three home games and could struggle here.
Freiburg, meanwhile, have won just one of their last four games and will be looking to get their campaign back on track this weekend. The sheer gulf in class and quality between the two sides should bring the visitors to the fore.
Prediction: Sandhausen 1-3 Freiburg
Sandhausen vs Freiburg Betting Tips
Type 1 – Result: Freiburg
Tip 2 – Goals – Over/Under 2.5 – Over 2.5 goals (The home team’s last six games have produced over 2.5 goals.)
Tip 3 – Both teams to score: Yes (Both teams have scored in nine of the last ten away games.)